Archived Documents 1967–1984
The documents linked to below belong to the early days of the society. Their typeface, pre-word-processing, gives the patina of age: the frisson of the archived document, the preservation of the ephemeral.
Formation of the Society
- Letter 22 Nov 1969 from Barbara Spencer (secretary) to Stephen Powys Marks, giving list of meetings held leading to the formation of the Powys Society in March 1969.
- List of Society meetings 1967–1991 This gives a list of names and places without any detail as to content of talks.
- List of papers read at Society meetings 1968–1981. An intriguing list... Alongside famous admirers of the Powyses (George Steiner, Angus Wilson, Colin Wilson, et al), and current members of the society (Glen Cavaliero, Tim Hyman, John Hodgson etc.) the name of Ian Hamilton comes as a surprise.
- Notice of forthcoming meetings: Glen Cavaliero on Wolf Solent, 25 May 1968; R.V. Adkinson, ‘Nature versus Doctrine’, 22 March 1969.
- Notice of Spring Meeting 1985: Rosemary Manning on Alyse Gregory (with unpaid subscription reminders!)
Early Conferences (Weekend Meetings)
- University of East Anglia, 12–15 September 1980
- University of Exeter, 31 August – 3 September 1984
- University of Bath, 29 August – 1 September 1986