This page covers links to Powys-related material on external websites.
- For Powys material in archives and library collections — see Powys Webliography
- For The Society's own Powys Collection — see Collection
- For details of Powys books (print or eBook) produced by other publishers — see Publishing News
Tim Blanchard's Powysland
Built around his book of the same name, Powysland – The Discovery of John Cowper Powys, Tim's website, regularly adds Powys-related blogs to which he invites contributions and responses.
'Little Blue Books'
The Haldeman-Julius series of "Little Blue Books" tells the story of a publishing imprint to which the Powyses contributed several titles. Jacqueline Peltier contributes an article about the Powys involvement: 10 titles by John Cowper Powys, 2 titles by Llewelyn Powys, and a title translated from French by Phyllis Playter.
There is also a Fans of the Little Blue Books facebook group
Richard Perceval Graves
Richard Perceval Graves is the author of several acclaimed biographies, including The Brothers Powys and was chairman of The Powys Society from 2001-2005. You will also find details of two Powys lectures especially suitable for 6th forms or Undergraduate Societies.
The Swedish John Cowper Powys Society
The Swedish John Cowper Powys Society issued bilingual newsletters between 2000 and 2010: a note in 2012 by its chairman Lars Gustaf Andersson tells of the decision to continue activities as an informal network centered on the website. Interested Powysians are invited to get in touch.
The Chaldon Herring village website
www.chaldonherringnews.co.uk notes this Dorset village's association with the Powys family.
The Powys family and Sherborne School
https://oldshirburnian.org.uk/the-powys-family-at-sherborne-school The Old Shirburnian website commemorates the three generations of Powyses who attended Sherborne Prep and School.
Online Articles or Lectures on the Powyses
- John Bayley: A seer of the flesh: John Cowper Powys
- Tom Bates: The Derbyshire Powyses - The Forgotten Roots of Britain's most accomplished Literary Family.
- Tony Brown: Review of Powys and Lord Jim: The Correspondence between James Hanley and John Cowper Powys, 1929–1965, ed. Chris Gostik
- Jeff Bursey: A review of A Struggle for Life by Llewelyn Powys
- Jeff Bursey: Reviews of Powys books on Goodreads.com
- Margaret Drabble: The English Degenerate
- Margaret Drabble: The Lost Leader (on JCP’s Owen Glendower)
- Lawrence Freiesleben: The Isle of Portland Digression
- John Gray: The village that imagined a godless world. In the Dorset parish of Chaldon Herring, 20th century intellectuals imagined a philosophy beyond Christianity
- Simon Heffer: John Cowper Powys: the forgotten giant of English fiction
- Hermitary: A review of A Philosophy of Solitude by John Cowper Powys.
- John Hodgson: John Cowper Powys and the art of the novelist. PHD Thesis 1980
- The Imaginary Museum Who’s Afraid of John Cowper Powys?
- Philip Jenkins: Saving the Good Wine Until Last: On T.F. Powys’s Mr Weston’s Good Wine
- Elizabeth Kurella: IOLI Lecture (zoom webinar) — Marian Powys: a Life in Lace
- Jonathan Law: The Madness of John Cowper Powys or Strange Doings at Phudd Bottom
- The Lectern: Porius: John Cowper Powys “A completely new type of human being”
- Charles Lock: Development of Style in the Writings of John Cowper Powys 1915-1929. D Phil Thesis 1982
- Kate Macdonald: A review of Mr Tasker's Gods
- Kate Macdonald: Chaldon Herring: the Powys Circle in a Dorset Village
- Florence Marie: Staging the Obscene in A Glastonbury Romance (1932) by John Cowper Powys
- Florence Marie: A Glastonbury Romance (1932) by John Cowper Powys as an egalitarian narrative?
- Florence Marie: Hardyan Ruins in John Cowper Powys’s A Glastonbury Romance (1932) and Maiden Castle (1936)
- Lawrence Millman: An appreciation of John Cowper Powys
- Francis Powys: T.F. Powys: Hermit of the House in the Pasture
- John Anthony Scime: Sensuality in John Cowper Powys’ Wolf Solent
- Clifford Tolchard: A Visit to John Cowper Powys
- Tom cat in the red room: A review of Unclay, by T. F. Powys
- John Vernon: A review of Durdle Door to Dartmoor: Wessex Essays by Llewelyn Powys
- John Vernon: A review of A Struggle for Life by Llewelyn Powys
- Paul Weston: The daemonic genius of John Cowper Powys
- A. N. Wilson: The Strange Experience of England (Life and Letters of John Cowper Powys)
- Robin Wood: A Quest for ‘Feminine consciousness’ in John Cowper Powys’s Porius
If you have other Powys links which you would like us to consider please contact us.